Grandma/Aunt Jen Camp

Mom and I joined forces this summer to spend a week with my sister's kids, Maddie and Jimmy. You might remember that they stayed with me last summer. "Camp" was at mom's house this time and we enjoyed her garden and kept busy by doing crafty things and taking the dog on walks. 









The first day I was there, we made these woven paper hot air balloons. They are tiny but so cute! They took most of the day to make and I ended up doing most of the work but I think they turned out pretty cool! Free pattern HERE.



We spent mornings on the patio, listening to the birds. Jimmy likes the sound of the mourning doves. 






Mom wanted to take the kids to see Stuhr Museum in Grand Island. I hadn't been since I was probably 10 or 11 years old, (except when I saw the Christmas trees a couple years ago)  so I was excited to go, too! Mom packed up some snacks and we hit the road. We stopped to pick up Dennis along the way and headed to the museum. 







Jimmy was not a fan of the extra friendly ducks! The ducks were hoping we would share our snacks and came straight for us in a long, quacking duck parade haha. Slightly terrifying! Once Jimmy was safely past the ducks via piggy back ride, we crossed the pond to check out the living history part of the museum, Railroad Town. 




T for temperance? I loved being able to go into the buildings and talk to the folks working inside. The woman in this particular house talked about Railroad Town being a "dry town," That's what got me wondering about this T quilt! Was she a member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union? Does T stand for temperance? This paper "Crusading Quilts: Social Reform and the Women's Christian Temperance Union" is an interesting read on the subject.







Jimmy's favorite part of the town was the orange soda. 😊 The rest of us enjoyed talking to the hat maker and the tin smith. They were both crafting goods to be sold at the Mercantile. We walked down the boardwalk and spent some time looking at all the items for sale in the store. The woman working there was so nice to us, we couldn't leave without a few sweets! 




After our soda break, we took a trek out to see the church and school house. I've always wondered what the insides of the buildings look like when I'm driving past on the interstate and now I've seen these two. 








Don't you want to sit on this porch all afternoon and enjoy the view? 




Stuhr museum was fun! I was glad to see it again because I didn't remember any of it from when I visited as a kid. I think Maddie enjoyed it more than Jimmy. Before heading back to mom's, we cooled off with a sweet treat at Sonic. We couldn't live on ice cream and soda alone though, so we stopped at Placke's roadside stand to pick up some fresh sweet corn and cucumbers for supper. Yum!







The next morning we had cinnamon and apricot rolls for breakfast at the Sweet Shoppe! Also, a fun game of eye spy happened with the plethora of cookie jars lining the walls. 



The kids helped make this pretty rainbow cake. It was a mix that came with little packets of food coloring. Maddie helped stir up the cake mix and then both kids helped mix the different colors of batter. It looked good and tasted even better with the chocolate frosting. 


It rained one of the days, so that put a little damper on going swimming. Despite some homesickness from the kids, it was a good time! I was happy to be at mom's with her and the kids in her beautiful garden! Hope we can do it again. 


This last photo is from the scenic detour I took on the way home. Just before this, I saw turkeys crossing the road, a deer with large antlers bounding in a field and white alpacas on a farm. It was lovely. I ❤ Nebraska in the summertime. 

Comments

Popular Posts