Pillowcase Tutorial

My niece's birthday is coming up and she, like many little kids, loves the movie Frozen. I heard that she wanted "Elsa Stuff" for her birthday. I've already made her a quilt, so I thought I would make her some pillowcases from Frozen fabric.

I have made pillowcases before, but it was so long ago, I forgot how to do it. I thought I would make a tutorial so that I can come back to it later if I want to make more.
There are a lot of pillowcase tutorials out there and mine is no different!
This is called the "burrito" method from what I've gathered.


For one pillowcase you will need these amounts of 44/45" wide cotton fabric:
3/4 yd (27") Main Fabric
1/3 yd (12") Contrast Fabric
1/8 yd (1.5") Trim Fabric


1. From trim fabric, cut one 1.5" x 41" strip. Fold in half lengthwise and press.


2. From contrast fabric, cut one 12" x 41" strip.
Begin with the right side of the contrast fabric facing up. Place trim piece on top of contrast fabric, matching up the raw/long edges. 


3. From main fabric, cut a 27" x 41" strip.
Place the main fabric right side down, matching up the 41" lengths and pin. 


4. Next, roll up the main fabric toward the pinned edge, about half way through the contrast piece.


5. Fold the contrast piece over the rolled fabric, match the edges and re-pin all the layers.


6. Sew pinned edges together with a 1/2" seam allowance.


7. Pull the main fabric from the tube, turning the pillowcase right side out and press.



8. Trim excess.


9. To keep the raw edges contained, make French seams.
With WRONG sides together, pin the raw edges and sew a scant 1/4" seam allowance.



10. Turn the pillowcase wrong side out, push out the corners and press the seams flat.


11. Sew a 3/8" seam around the side and end of the pillowcase, enclosing the raw edges.



12. Turn the pillowcase right side out, push out the corners and press.


That's it! 




One pillowcase down, one to go!

Comments

  1. Pillowcases are fun and easy bu I do like the addition of your "trim" fabric though....I bet this Frozen pillowcase made some little girls dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts