Rest

Where have the days gone? A whole month since I last wrote here. Are the days blurring together for you? They are for me. I have managed to finish a small quilt, though, and that feels like an accomplishment. 


This quilt is for the Lincoln Modern Quilt Guild's Paint Chip Challenge/Covid Quilt Challenge. For the Paint Chip Challenge, we had to choose one of the six color combinations below and make a quilt using only those three colors. The Covid Quilt Challenge is to make a quilt that reflects your experiences during the pandemic. Since I have limited fabric here at my brother's house, I decided to combine the challenges and make one quilt. 


I chose the color combination #4. I didn't exactly have a lot of the color "zen" but I did have the pink and navy. These are all fabrics from my fat quarter stash. I wasn't planning on making a pink quilt but that's how it worked out best with what I had. 
 

For the backing, I did a quick improv with the leftover strips of fabric I had from the front. 


I like how the machine quilting and big stitch quilting shows on the back! 


When I saw this quilt, it reminded me of whole and half rests in music. In case you don't know music symbols, half rests get two beats per measure and whole rests get four beats per measure/rest for the whole measure. My quilt is a calendar of sorts, marking my time off from school and church by months. Months of rest. I started with March which gets a half rest because I worked for two weeks that month. April, May, June, and July are whole rests, all the time I will have had at home during the pandemic. 


This has been a time of big rest for me. I was so super busy back in January and February. Home was just a place to sleep. Now I don't go anywhere but the grocery store. I'm home ALL THE TIME. I don't have much to say about it other than I do feel like I have been resting.  


Did you know that there are seven types of rest? I had no idea! The types of rest are physical, mental, spiritual, emotional, social, sensory, and creative. I always enjoy a good personality quiz, so I took this quiz to discover what kind of rest I might need. Interesting to think about, even after all this time off. 


Rest
LMQG Paint Chip Challenge/Covid Quilt
25" x 32" 
Machine and hand quilted

Comments

  1. Hi Jennifer....I like that you think of our lonnnnnggg time off/home as a restful period.....it's a good reminder as I've been getting restful for a sense of normality....yet everytime I make a plan....things change....I"m surprised how unproductive I've become with soooo much time on my hand to be creative....yet I do find myself enjoying the mellow. The world is definitely evolving into a new normal that we are all having to adjust to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay that is cool. I really like the machine and hand work too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts