Dreams for Kathy


A few years ago, I created this Single Roses quilt as album art for my cousin, Kathy. It's still one of my favorite quilts I've ever made! A couple months ago, she asked if she could use my dream page as album art for a new project she was recording. I said sure, but how about I make something that looks like you? 



She said ok! I asked her if she had any color/style preferences and she said no, she was leaving it up to me. Oh boy! That makes me nervous! I got to work after listening to the track a couple times. I decided on an Art Nouveau style, especially inspired by the work of Alphonse Mucha. I had originally thought I would use fall inspired colors with browns, yellows and oranges but after I talked with my sister, she helped me choose this peachy color scheme. I only had a fat quarter of the background fabric in my stash, so I had to be careful not to mess it up haha. For Kathy's face, I traced a close up photo using a micron pen on the white fabric. The flower hair is made from individual cut flowers that were layered and glued down using fusible web. After that, everything was stitched down by machine. I added some hand stitching on the flowers and the background with gold thread. 



This piece measures 12.5" square. I'm really happy with how this one turned out! It's been fun to work on these quilty/musical collaborations with Kathy. I'm so happy she asked me! 

Give a listen to Kathy's cover of Fleetwood Mac's Dreams HERE.

Comments

  1. yay you did and got this updated. woooot this is so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts