St. Elmo's Fire

 

My summer has flown by! I can't believe it's time to go back to school next week. I couldn't let summer slip by without doing a little sewing! I decided that I would make something to enter into the county fair.


A flip through my old quilting magazines is always a good place to start for inspiration. I decided on "St. Elmo's Fire" by Ricky Tims from the June 2005 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting magazine. These blocks are mirror-image foundation-pieced blocks and WOW they were a PUZZLE to assemble! I drew out a few different color placements and then very slowly sewed one block at a time, writing the color placements on my freezer paper pattern before I sewed. I definitely needed the map of the layout for this one! I still don't understand how it works ha! 

For the fabrics, I chose to use a bundle of purple batiks a friend gifted to me. I thought the solid teal background pieces would be a nice contrasting ground. I knew I wanted the colors to radiate out for a glowing effect. I quilted it with straight lines radiating through the center. 

This is a small wall hanging size but I think if these blocks were sized up it would make an amazing large quilt. There's so many opportunities for color play! I didn't receive any ribbons at the fair for this one but I'm glad I sewed something and entered it! 

St. Elmo's Fire

14" x 21"

Pattern by: Ricky Tims

Quilted by Me




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts