Something About You

Have you ever met someone for the first time and within the first few minutes had an overwhelming and familiar sensation that you know them? I have, once. Not like, hmm, do I know you from somewhere? Have we met? No, not that. I mean it's like I'm suddenly tuning out everything my other friends are saying as we all look over the lunch menu because I have this curious feeling that I KNOW YOU LIKE I KNOW MYSELF. Time froze for a moment and then a spark of light. And I just knew. 

It was a weird moment for sure. The only way I can describe it is I had a deep knowing. Not long after, I had this dream featuring him.  


I am alone on a city sidewalk. Concrete and brick. Tall buildings rise up around me casting long dark shadows in the gloaming. I am hovering above the pavement. I want to fly, to soar up into the night sky but I am afraid that people will see me. I don't want anyone to know that I can do it. 

My mind is afraid but my heart says, I know I can. It used to be so easy! 

My mind wins out and I am drawn down to the earth. I slink and slide in the shadows, keeping myself hidden and small. Feeling lost. 



People begin appearing in front of me on the sidewalk and then I see the bigger picture. A huge crowd of people packed shoulder to shoulder in an intersection. They are blocking the entire street and sidewalks. I could just fly over them, I think. They are all stopped and facing the same direction, their backs to me. Everyone is staring at something I can't see. I decide to stay on the ground and begin to push my way through the crowd to get a better look. As I near the center of the crowd, I see his eyes looking back at me. We meet each other in the middle. It's YOU! I exclaim. We smile at each other, full of joy. It felt like what was lost had been found. Without any fear, we join hands and fly up above the people, above the trees, rising all the way into space. Such an exciting feeling! We spend some time up there, splashing and diving amidst the stars. 


We fly to the top of the tallest building. As we touch down on the top floor, I see my family and friends waiting there. 

Look who I found! I say. Do you remember him? Everyone encircles us and welcomes us. It feels like a homecoming celebration full of happiness, love, and joy. A wonderful reunion. 


Pretty interesting dream about someone I just met, huh? I thought so. It felt pretty magical though and it got me thinking more in-depth about my vivid dreams. This is the dream that prompted me to start a dream journal. It has been a positive ritual for me and has helped me realize many things about myself. This dream, although it felt so exhilarating and joyful and happy, made me look at my negative self-talk. How I lack self-confidence sometimes. How I make myself small when I know I shouldn't. How I hide my true self. I'm still working on it. 

So, this dream happened 2 years ago! He and I are still friends. I don't know how he feels about our friendship but it has been wonderful and strange for me. The weirdest thing to me is how, without even trying, he sparks awareness in me of things I had forgotten about myself. Which can be positive but can also create some pretty awful heartache. He's my mirror in the strangest of ways. He's definitely helped me grow my heart a couple sizes, which I wasn't expecting at all. For that, and for his friendship, I am so very thankful.  
 
The song that goes with this dream is Remind Me. Sums it up to a T. 

Comments

  1. Wow! That is an awesome painting you got there. Negative gradients are always the best in getting the message across. As an avid reader of Painting and Handicrafts blogs, I have always been awestruck at how beautifully concepts are conveyed through a few strokes of the brush. Thank you for your wonderful portrayal of a melancholy theme.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts