Dream Journal Stitchbook

Is spring happening yet? The first flowers are peeking up around the patio and that makes me feel hopeful. I'm ready to be outside all the time. 

I don't know what my deal is lately but I have not felt like sewing my quilt projects. It may be that I'm tired of being indoors and the thought of being in my sewing room for hours seems claustrophobic. Or maybe it's the fact that my UFO's are piling up haha. Somebody tell me to get to it. 

Several months ago, I came across this amazing Into The Woods Stitchbook by artist Kim Edith. Wow I was so inspired!! It's so cool! I wanted to make my own so much but didn't know what I would make mine about. Then a few weeks ago, she started a stitchbook sew along where she showed how to make her fabric pages. I decided to join in but I wanted to make my pages bigger than hers. Mine are 8.5" x 11." Since I didn't follow her instructions, I'm not sure how I will put these into a book yet...



I have been keeping a dream journal since last fall and I thought it would be fun to make my stitchbook about some of the images from my dreams. I started easy with my classic stress dream. If I'm stressed, I usually dream that I need to be going somewhere and I can't find my shoes.



One night, I dreamed that a woman I don't know talked to me all night long. I could not hear her speaking but that didn't stop her from going on and on. I woke up feeling totally drained. A few days later, I woke up to a voice repeating the words, "I just want to talk to you," over and over in my ear. Very strange! 

To make this page, I used a light box to trace my face from this photo. 



I attached the pieces to the background fabric with fusible web. The hair is embroidered, which I'm not totally in love with but it was my first try. The quilt was made from tiny half square triangles that I had saved from YEARS ago. I'm glad I remembered that I had them! I think they are perfect for this page.



In this simple dream, two deer visited me. The light was warm and golden yellow. The deer were a kind and comforting presence. I woke up feeling happy and loved. 

I decided to keep the background and stitching simple since the dream was so simple. I got the inspiration for the background from an illustration in a magazine. The deer is made from wool felt and stitched by machine with a little hand embroidery. 

In keeping the dream journal, I've discovered that I dream about animals quite a bit. I think it's sort of unusual since I don't have any pets. I do love animals though, so maybe it's not that weird. I'm planning several animal pages, so stay tuned! I'm looking forward to making more pages and hopefully trying out some different techniques. 

Comments

  1. Yay Flowers! :) soon grasshopper. So I guess I will have to be the one to say get with it on the quilts but I am dragging too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts