The Dyeing Adventures Continue

My brother Chris and his partner Jenny are expecting a baby come November and I am all excited for another nephew! Their friends threw them a baby shower last weekend and you know me, I like to give handmade gifts. Since I still had all my dyeing stuff out, I decided to keep experimenting with some ice tie dye and make a crib sheet. 



This time, I soaked my sheet fabric in a soda ash solution before I folded and tied the piece. I also sprinkled the dye directly onto the fabric and then put the ice cubes on top. I used some rocks to help keep the ice in place but in the video I watched, the person made a cardboard dam to hold the ice in. After the dye soaked in, I let the pieces sit for 24 hours before rinsing. After rinsing, I sprayed the pieces with a dye fixer. I'm hoping that all those steps will help to keep some color intensity.


I decided to catch the dye drips on another piece of fabric that had also been soaked in soda ash. Look at how cool the drip catcher turned out! 


So the baby's room is going to be decorated with a cactus theme and they received a lot of darling cactus things. Who knew cactuses are a popular thing right now? I tried my best to create a flowering cactus-like mandala. The crib sheet sewed up quickly and turned out super soft! 



The flower in the center is my favorite part! 


The colors didn't come out exactly as I had planned but I still like the result! I watched this video  for the mandala folding and this tutorial to sew the crib sheet. 


I still had some sheet and soda ash solution left, so I tried a different fold for this piece. It turned out so bright and fun! I'm going to save this piece for a cold winter day when I need a colorful and sunshiney project.



I am loving ice dyeing! But darn, I'm all out of fabric to dye so I guess I better go sew something 😊



Comments

  1. So awesome! I can't believe you got a post done this week too. You are on fire. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts