Flowering Snowball Mini Quilt

I started this Flowering Snowball mini quilt almost exactly a year ago! I've had it all finished for awhile but just got around to taking some pictures at mom's house a couple weeks ago. Her purple phlox and cone flowers matched my quilt binding exactly, so it was the perfect spot for a photo shoot. 




These vintage fabrics came in a small baggie from my friend, Pastor Jamie. From what I can tell, they were leftover scraps from a Dresden Plate quilt. There were big and small pieces in the bag and I decided to use the small pieces for the little curved parts and solids from my stash for the rest. 


Since my vintage pieces were small, I needed small pattern pieces. I used this free Flowering Snowball Tutorial which makes a 6" block. As you can see, there are a lot of curves in this block! I decided to try glue basting for the first time because the idea of pinning all those little curves sounded pretty tedious. Let me tell you, glue basting is awesome! It worked so slick, I will definitely glue baste again. It was so easy to sew the curve without pins and the curves came out perfectly every time.


I hand quilted this with big stitches using size 8 perle cotton thread. I love the look of the big stitches with this block! 


Some of the fabrics were stained, so once I had the piece all finished, I soaked it in Oxiclean. That really lifted the stains and brightened up the vintage fabrics.



I think this piece turned out really cute and I'm happy to have tried a new block and the glue basting! 


Flowering Snowball Mini Quilt
20" x 20"
Pieced and hand quilted by me

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts