Planned Pooling Crochet

Hello Hello and Happy July! Summer is flying by but I'm finally making progress on my projects and I can't wait to show you what I've been working on! This project is actually the first thing I finished this summer. I've just been too lazy to blog about it! 




So this yarn came from my dad's wife. She had intended on making scarves for her grandkids but the arthritis in her hands made crocheting too uncomfortable. She passed this neon yarn on to me, which was great! Isn't it so bright and fun? I had no idea what to do with it, though. I started and ripped out several patterns before I looked up some project ideas for this particular Red Heart yarn. 




This colorway is Red Heart Super Saver Blacklight. In my searching, I discovered a technique called Planned Pooling. Have you tried it? It's a technique that uses the colors of a variegated yarn to create patterns as you crochet. Not every variegated yarn will create patterns but I believe that Red Heart has come out with yarns just for this kind of project and there are lists out there of what yarns will work. 




So getting started was NOT easy! Of course, this probably wasn't the best yarn to start out with since it has 32 color changes in a sequence before the colors start repeating. I think I started over 6 times before I actually got going on the right path. Once I did though, I just loved watching the argyle pattern emerge! It's like unlocking the magic of the yarn haha! The thing about this technique is you have to be flexible with your yarn tension so that the colors line up right. Sometimes you have to take some really tight stitches and sometimes really loose. The stitch I used for this technique was the Moss Stitch. It's a very simple single crochet and chain pattern that lets you focus on just the color changes. 



Since I only had the one skein, my scarf turned out pretty skinny. I added the green solid around the edge to finish it off. I really enjoyed learning something new with some free yarn! What do you think? Would you try this technique? I watched this video and this video before I got started. Let me know if you give it a try! 

Comments

  1. Haha, I totally thought this post was going to be about taking a crochet project to work on while watching someone at a swimming pool!!
    I love trying out something new like that! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that is beyond cool! I love it. AND it is Magic!! who knew...I guess you and red heart..haha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts