Constellation Mini Quilt

Well folks, my hibernation is officially over. I don't know if I'm ready to leave my warm cocoon and go back to reality tomorrow but I really can't complain. This winter break has actually felt like a break! We had arctic temperatures a week ago, so church was canceled. I even got a BREAK FROM CHURCH! I could hardly believe it myself. So yeah, my batteries are feeling recharged. 

I've done a lot of sewing and even more ignoring of the messy house haha. Also, I joined a reading challenge through the local library buuut I'm already a loser at that. I'm only up to the deer badge which means I've read for two hours. Wow. Gotta step it up on that challenge! 

So here's something I whipped up yesterday. It took me all day to make and I never got out of my jammies. It was the best. 



Can you tell what it is? 



It's my sign, baby! Haha. This is a pixelated version of the constellation Sagittarius. 

Back in October, our LMQG had the "That's Modern Challenge"  where we had to choose a modern quilting element out of a bag and make a 16" black and white mini quilt from that element. I originally chose Modern Traditionalism and made this star. There were so many cool pieces turned in at that meeting...except for pixelization. So another member and I said we would come up with something so that we had quilts in every category. 



This quilt idea came from the Fancy Tiger Crafts Sagittarius Constellation Block. Isn't it fun? This block makes a 20" quilt, so I had to scale the pattern down to fit the 16" requirement. I also constructed mine differently than the pattern. Instead of long vertical strips, I used bigger chunks of fabric inbetween the tiny squares. Much easier to sew together and less seam bulk to press! I quilted it with vertical lines though, and then quilted the constellation shape with silver metallic thread. I didn't love sewing with metallic thread but I love how it turned out! I hope those metallic stitches stay put..



Pattern: Sagittarius Constellation Block 
16" Square 
Machine Pieced and Quilted by me

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts