Fabric Journal Covers

How was your Thanksgiving? Gary and I enjoyed lots of food and family time at his brother's house. I made the coleslaw salad  with the crunchy ramen noodles. It was a direct request from Gar's brother. He loves that stuff! I was disappointed that there wasn't any pumpkin pie for dessert but I managed to eat some French Silk pie instead haha. I still want pumpkin pie though...

My friend Kristie shared this Journal Cover Tutorial from Bloom and Blossom Blog at our last guild sew day. Look at the cute one she made! After seeing hers, I couldn't wait to give it a try! First, I bought the notebooks. These measure 7.5" x 9.75"


The tutorial gives instructions on how to measure your fabric for any sized journal. For this size, I cut as follows:
Outer Fabric and Batting: 10.5" x 23"
Lining Fabric: 10.5" x 15"
Pencil Pocket, 2 pieces: 2" x 10.5"
                                          2" x 6.25"
Elastic: .5" x 10.5"


For the flying geese, I cut 2.5" squares and strips. I drew a diagonal line on the squares and sewed them to the ends of the strips to form the flying geese. Once I decided on a color layout, I sewed the strips together until I had the 10.5" x 23" measurement.


All of these strips were in my scrap bins!


I happened to be cleaning up my sewing mess and found the pattern for this fun cassette tape block. I thought it would be perfect for the front of a journal! You can find the free pattern at Sewing Under Rainbow HERE. What a fun block! It uses very small pieces of fabric, perfect for scrap busting. I want to make so many more!


The elastic strip was sewn to the front panel (right sides together) so it would show on the back, but it could be sewn to the back panel if you want it to show on the front.  The hardest part about these is figuring out the spacing on the front of the journal so the design is centered the way you want. After making two journals, though, I think I have a good idea of how to make it work!



These journal covers are perfect for highlighting a mini quilt block or even orphan blocks! I'm going to dig through my quilt block bin to see what else I can make!

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts

Comments

  1. I love the cassette tape cover! How fun! You know that does date you a bit though... ;) Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE the Flying Geese cover!!! Wonder how many I could make before Christmas?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts