Floating Squares in Progress
My stack of solids has had a workout! After I finished the t-shirt quilts, I got right to work on the Floating Squares Score, which is the first score in the Improv Handbook for Modern Quilters by Sherri Lynn Wood. I have been itching to get back to trying more improv!
To begin, the instructions say to choose three fabrics, one of which will be the "filler." I chose my fabrics two colors at a time and the filler was the light tan which I have a lot of, so I used it in every color combination.
Then, I started cutting squares using my scissors and no rulers. I found out that either my scissors are getting dull or I REALLY can't cut an even square!
Once I started arranging the blocks on my design wall, I decided that I should make smaller units so I didn't end up with obvious divisions between the colors. I ended up ripping the big red and purple unit apart so I could arrange it better. Eventually, I was working with three columns of fabric.
My design wall is not big enough so I had to tape the pieces up close to the ceiling ha!
I've decided that my floating squares look more like floating blobs. I think I may have cut too many smaller squares or squares of the same size. Or maybe I didn't use enough filler fabric. If I make one of these again, I will start with bigger squares.
I'm not totally done with this top, I think I will add another row to make it more of a square.
My thoughts about this process:
I liked cutting the fabric without a ruler and just sitting and sewing without a master plan. Putting the puzzle together was exciting and I couldn't wait to get back to it the next day. Having a limited amount of fabric for each color combination helped me know when to stop and move on to the next color. I also had to get creative when I was out of a color but wanted to keep using it!
Overall, floating squares was a fun exercise!
I can't wait to finish this quilt!