Snow Day and Scones








Snow days are such a blessing, especially when they are unexpected! Yesterday I woke up and 5 inches of snow had fallen. It was a surprise, because I didn't know it was supposed to snow that much. Then, I got the call saying school had been cancelled. Yes!! 
It's musical and solo/small ensemble contest season for me, so I have been playing piano non stop. I didn't realize how much I needed the day off from playing. A day to rest my muscles and my brain, that was wonderful indeed!
Snow days just call for baking, if you ask me. Here's my favorite scone recipe. I think I got it years ago from the Food Network website. 

Dried Fruit Scones

2 cups Flour
1 T. Baking Powder
1/2 t. Salt
1/4 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Dried Apricots, chopped
11/4 cup Heavy Cream

Glaze
3 T. Melted Butter
2 T. Sugar

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine dry ingredients, then add in apricots. Using a fork, stir in cream and mix until the dough holds together (will be sticky). 

Flour board. Knead the dough 8 or 9 times. Pat into 2 circles about 6" round. For the glaze, spread butter over top and sprinkle with sugar. Cut into 8 wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet, allowing an inch between pieces. (I like to cut mine out with my biscuit cutter)

Bake for 11 minutes, or until golden brown. 






Comments

Popular Posts