28 Ys
October is here, hooray! Just a week ago the weather was non stop rainy and I wondered if we would ever see the sun again. Thankfully, fall seems to have arrived and I've been soaking up the cool sunny blue sky mornings and the leafy long shadow afternoons. Tonight, I've got a loaf of bread cooling on the kitchen counter. I love the smell of baking bread! So cozy. The state of my fabric stash is horrendous as of late so I've decided to shift things around and move my fabric shelves to a new location. Let's just say that it's a work in progress...chaos can be good sometimes? I've got quite a bit of organizing to do!
Here is the quilt I made for the Lincoln Modern Quilt Guild's "Go Geometric Challenge." We pulled shapes out of a hat at our meeting a couple months ago. I got triangle which I grumbled about because I've made lots of triangle quilts. But I've never made something like this before! I became more excited about it after I chose a direction.
I was thinking about tumbling blocks quilts and how they look 3D if the colors are right. How could I do that with triangles? I experimented with the idea using freezer paper for my pattern. For each triangle Y segment, I used a light, medium, and dark fabric to achieve the 3D look.
I sewed the piece together and then read the challenge rules which said the piece had to be larger than 24" inches on the shortest side. So I made another panel to make it large enough.
I'm pretty good at sewing Y seams now! There are 28 Y seams in this piece. Some of the seams are bulky where all the points come together and it's not a perfect square. The straight line quilting helped pull it all in. I love how it turned out! I'd like to play around with this idea some more in the future. For now though, I'm happy I finished a quilt!
Here is the quilt I made for the Lincoln Modern Quilt Guild's "Go Geometric Challenge." We pulled shapes out of a hat at our meeting a couple months ago. I got triangle which I grumbled about because I've made lots of triangle quilts. But I've never made something like this before! I became more excited about it after I chose a direction.
I sewed the piece together and then read the challenge rules which said the piece had to be larger than 24" inches on the shortest side. So I made another panel to make it large enough.
I'm pretty good at sewing Y seams now! There are 28 Y seams in this piece. Some of the seams are bulky where all the points come together and it's not a perfect square. The straight line quilting helped pull it all in. I love how it turned out! I'd like to play around with this idea some more in the future. For now though, I'm happy I finished a quilt!
28 Ys
33.5" square(ish)
Designed and Quilted by me






Comments
Post a Comment