Upcycle Challenge for LMQG

 It's C-C-COLD here! I've had three snowdays from school in one week! Wow! The good thing about that is with all my free time, I've finished my quilt for the Lincoln Modern Quilt Guild's upcycle challenge. 

The guild was presented with images of five traditional quilts that were made using feedsacks and recycled materials. Our challenge was to choose one of the quilts to recreate a modern take on that pattern. We also had to include upcycled, recycled, or repurposed materials. 


I chose "Snake in the Hollow" or "Snake Trail." For the upcycled materials, I used silk tie cast offs. I decided to make the snake out of the brown silk tie pieces and satin. I got to thinking about how it might be fun to set the more "masculine" fabrics against a pink flowery "feminine" background. That's what I did! 


I added a couple extra layers of batting under the snake so it's puffy and stands out a bit. For the quilting, I used hot pink thread. I like how it gives the quilt a little extra glow. 


To add some 3-D fun, I created some butterflies from a butterfly fabric I had in my stash. Of course, they needed some sequin sparkle. 


I wasn't sure how this was going to be a modern take on a snake in the hollow quilt. My original plan was to applique a bunch of leaves and grass and make a garden. But that wasn't working. But never fear, my musical brain kicked in and I remembered the only song I know about snakes. Do you remember Paula Abdul's song "Cold Hearted?" I chose to make this quilt look like a modern meme, with the song lyrics "Girl, don't play the fool, no." As far as making this fit the definitions of modern quilting, I'm not sure I accomplished that. But I do think it's fun. I'm glad I tried! 

Here is the music video if you're in the mood for a blast from the past! I love the dancing! I also like that there is a panel of guys wearing suits and ties. I hadn't remembered that part of the video until I watched it today. How fun that that idea goes with the tie fabrics I used in my quilt! 


Girl, don't play the fool, no

22" square

Designed and Quilted by Me

Comments

Popular Posts