Soul Serenade

 


Any Sunday nap takers out there? I love a Sunday afternoon nap! This dream was a nap dream. I remember writing it down and then going straight to my piano to see if I could remember the song I had been singing in the dream. I could only remember a little bit but it seemed impossible anyway because the song was so beautiful, the notes intertwining in this amazing, otherworldly harmony. That's how the dream ended. The beginning was nothing like that, however. 


September 9, 2019

I left my work bag on a busy city street corner on purpose. It seemed to be the late 1960's judging by the clothing people are wearing, the cars and the signage on the businesses. I'm walking alone and see someone I know but I don't stop to talk. After walking a ways, I decide to turn back because I feel I've gone too far. I pass by a family sitting on a stoop. Then I slide across the hood of their car, all Dukes of Hazzard style. I apologize, saying, "I don't know why I just did that!" They kind of laugh but they don't get mad at me. I go back to the corner where I left my bag and of course, it's gone. 

Suddenly, I'm in the backseat of a car, looking at the back of a man's head. He's driving but says nothing. Finally, I say "HELLO!" and he laughs and says, "hello lady." I tell him I want to go back for my bag. So we drive around the block. It's still not there. Next thing I know, the car is filled with people and I am squished in between them. We are headed for a busy freeway. I notice the man who is driving has white hair and a beard. He's wearing a beret style of hat. I see him throw a red toy car out the window. Just then, a woman in a red car behind us spins out of control and plunges off the freeway bridge. I'm alarmed to see the man throw 2 more toy cars out the window, with the same result. He realizes that I've seen what he's been doing and asks me how many did I see? I say three. He replies that it's sad but it must be done. To keep control of the planet.  



The space in the car seems to be getting less and less as now I am sitting in the space between the top of the drivers seat and the roof, facing backwards. I'm looking at one of the guys in the backseat. I ask if I could please sit next to the door. He and I begin to sing a song about "12 cars out the window." Our eyes locked together, our voices intertwining in this haunting, minor melody. We are connected through our hearts by a glowing golden helix between us. As the notes of the song ascend, the harmony decorates it's way around and around the melody effortlessly in a way that makes perfect sense. It is so easy and beautiful and soothing in the stressful moment. The feeling of being home and being held, for just a little bit.

 

That's how the dream ended. And I didn't get my bag back! Sometimes I wish I could remember the music in my dreams better. It sure was a surprising element in this dream. 


This song was not in my dream but it did inspire the name of this page, Soul Serenade. 




Comments

Popular Posts