Curiosities and Simple Pleasures

 
















Something new in my life recently has been filling in as an emergency accompanist for my friend's show choir group. I've gone to two competitions with them in the past few weeks. Holy moly, this show choir business is SO EXTRA! I can't say that I love it but I understand why people do. I was very thankful to have my Saturday free yesterday while a lot of my music friends attended yet another competition. 

This last week, the teacher I work with was out sick. On Thursday, as I walked into school, two people alerted me to the fact that "your sub is here!" I thought, uh oh, what am I walking into today! I walked into the classroom and sure enough, there was an older gentleman already there. I introduced myself and the more we talked, we figured out that he knew my dad! He and my dad coached football together way back when I was just a baby! It was so cool to hear him describe my dad and I was transported to so many memories of that place and time. What a delightful thing! 

Yesterday felt a bit like spring. I got out for a walk and a sit under a tree in the sunshine. The sun on my face was wonderful. There was a baseball team practicing on the field. Lots of people walking their dogs. Across the way, I could hear a dad instructing his kids on how to drive a four wheeler in their back yard. He mostly shouted, "HIT THE BRAKES! BRAKE! BRAKE!" Haha. I picked up a book from one of the little libraries in the neighborhood and read a chapter. A simple and easy time. Today, I decided to bake a pear upside down cake. The pears were a gift from my mom. She canned them and I'm pretty sure they came from a tree in Mason City. I put some orange zest in with the pears, brown sugar and butter. Boy is it yummy!

I hope you find some simple pleasures this week! 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts