Log's Goodwill Tie Problem

Whoa. I finished a quilt! It's been a minute.


I believe I began sewing these blocks back in November of 2018?? My friend had given me a box of his old ties, thinking that I might enjoy making something out of them. I decided to see what I could do. All the ties got a wash before I took them apart just to make sure they would hold up. One of them bled a bit, so I'm glad I washed first. Since ties are all silky and slickery, I ironed on interfacing to the back of each tie for more stability. I really like the Pellon SF101 interfacing for this kind of thing. Then came the fun part!
  

For the design, I decided on an improv quarter log cabin block. I had a lot of solid scraps in my bins, so that's how the rainbow color scheme came about. (I still have a lot of scraps by the way, even after this project!) Each tie made two blocks. I really enjoyed playing around with the color combinations and rearranging the blocks into something I liked. 


The backing is purple fleece. No batting in the middle. I worked on the hand quilting while we drove across Nebraska on our summer vacation last August. I did big stitch quilting using perle cotton thread. What I like most about this quilt is how comfy it is. The fleece makes the back so soft and warm and the hand quilting gives it a squishy, drapey feeling. Really nice. This quilt also has great vibes. Before it was even finished, it had pets snuggling it and me dreaming under it on my camp bunk bed. Oh, and baby Felix (my nephew) approves of it's snuggliness as well. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! Hooray for a finish.   


Log's Goodwill Tie Problem
65" x 69"
Designed and Quilted by me

Comments

  1. Seriously awesome. I finally got over here to read your blog page. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I agree with one of your IG commenters - ties never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! Love the use of ties.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts