Snow Day Birds

Does anybody know why this is called a sun dog? I've always wondered about it. There was an impressive one this morning with rainbows on both sides of the sun. I wasn't able to get a good shot of the whole thing because of all the trees in my neighborhood but it was there for a long time. 

I always feel bad for the little critters who live outside in these frozen conditions. I filled up all the feeders yesterday afternoon so that this morning there would be seed out for them. As the sun came up, I saw a woodpecker hunkered down on a branch and a lone squirrel who found a patch of seed in the snow. They were moving really slow, poor things.

Dark-eyed Junco

As time passed, more birds started to show up. 

 Downy Woodpecker

Then surprise! I saw a Red Tailed Hawk swooping up to a branch in the neighbors back yard. I was really surprised when I realized there were TWO hawks. This was when I wished I would have washed my windows last fall. 

I pulled on my boots and coat and ran outside to try and get a better picture before they flew away. These birds are huge compared to the birds who visit the feeders.

Almost immediately, the two of them started circling around my backyard where the feeders are. Looking for a tasty bird or squirrel to eat, no doubt. 

These are Red-bellied Woodpeckers. They really like the suet feeders. 

Mourning Dove

We have a whole family of bossy Blue Jays. They are the first to make a big deal if there is new birdseed out. I really like their vibrant blue feathers.

House Finch

Nuthatch

I like how they go head first down the tree. 

 The Black Capped Chickadees are so flitty and quick I can't seem to get a good picture of them. They are one of my favorites to watch. I also saw Cardinals, Sparrows and Starlings. Oh yeah and some Crows.

And as always, we have lots of squirrels. 


Comments

  1. Oh, I love that picture, second from the bottom, of the squirrel. I found you through your comment on Cozy. Count me as a new follower. I can't wait to go through all your posts.
    -Ginene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginene! Thank you! We have LOTS of squirrels around here. I've given up on trying to shoo them away from the bird feeders!

      Delete
  2. About everything I've read says the parhelia are called "sun dogs" because they follow the sun like a dog follows it's master. I also think I've seen something said about them looking like the ears of the dog. Not sure which is the real reason they got that name. I've also heard someone call them "sun sprites". Though I think that is something different, caused by snow or rain something like a rainbow where the colors are stacked horizontally rather than in a bow.

    Beautiful pictures!!! Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts